I am sure you have heard or read about someone who has tried the Paleo diet and is recommending it to anyone who would listen. The Paleo diet doesn’t have the intention of helping your lose weight but that could be one of the end results. The objective here is to help you get healthier.
What is the Paleo diet?
- A diet based on what our ancestors used to eat.
- Our ancestors were eating foods that kept them healthy and fit. The Paleo diet focuses on these foods.
- Nowadays, with all the changes in technologies used to prepare the food we are consuming, it is making it much harder for our bodies to digest.
- The evolution in technology is way faster than our body’s genetic capacity to adapt.
This is where the Paleo diet makes a difference.
It is not that hard. Basically, just think: What would a caveman eat?
The diet recommends whole, nutrient dense food and it follows a basic elimination diet principle.
When you remove all the sources of allergies along with the processed food-like products we are buying from the supermarkets, you give a chance to your body to self-detox from all foreign substances. Substances it wasn’t able to digest!
Like that, your body will go back to doing its basic functions such as digesting effortlessly.
So what to eat when you are following a Paleo diet?
The basic principles:
- No calorie counting and no portion control
- Eat when hungry
- If it came in a box don’t eat it
- Eliminate sources of stress and don’t over exercise
What to eat:
- The diet is high in fat, moderate in animal protein and low to moderate in carbohydrates.
- Focus on saturated fats such as coconut oil and butter. You can also have olives and avocados
- Your protein intake should come from red meat, poultry, eggs, pork and fish. Go for fatty meat cuts and fish
- Eat generous amounts of fresh vegetables
- Reduce the amounts of fruits and nuts per day
- Stop all cereal grains and legumes from your diet. This includes: wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, brown rice, peanuts, soy, beans, etc…
- No consumption of vegetable or hydrogenated oils. Replace with olive oil
- Eliminate dairy products but keep butter and heavy cream
Benefits that result:
- You will sleep better and have more energy
- You will be less stressed
- You will have a clearer skin and healthier hair
- You will take control of your allergies and their related symptoms
- You will have a healthy ration of Omega 3/6 which aids in burning off stored body fat
- You will reduce your bloating and gas.
- You will lose weight and increase muscle growth (with an active lifestyle)
- You will have stable blood sugar levels
- You will have better lipid profiles